Friday, May 14, 2010

#1 The Judy Bench

Better Back Porch Shot

I have an elderly neighbor who has a lovely backyard garden with winding paths, random statues of whimsy, a fountain, plants of all varieties, and sigh, a courtyard. My dream! We call it the Secret Garden. It’s never locked and she lets us come and go as we please and my son loves it. Her house was the first I hit when my neighborhood association had their annual garage sale. I picked up this black bench for $7. I thought I could do something creative with it.

bench before

Mallet

It sat around for a few months and one day when cleaning out the garage, I found some old glass from a long ago stained glass class. I had completely forgotten about that glass which happens when clutter accumulates. I then called my friend Judy who had just completed a mosaic table and asked if she could teach me the basics…I had a bench project.

Pattern Set Up



bench before grout


She showed me how to smash the glass with a mallet between towels, and then lay out the pattern. Glue it down, then grout. I found some Dollar Tree marbles as a border accent. We chose a black grout and she taught me how to mix it right-a cake batter consistency. We let it dry a few days then used a sealer solution all over it.

bench after grout

I can’t tell you how much I love this Judy Bench. The whole thing cost less than $20 to put together and it’s the centerpiece of my back porch. I’ll keep it forever.

toni

No comments:

Post a Comment