Monday, June 28, 2010

#14 Some side action

So if you haven’t read my smoked meat post from last week , you should. To go along with that, figured I’d share my recipes for the sides. My sour cream potato salad is absolutely divine. I’m German, so I like a little tanginess to my potatoes from the vinegar - plus it doesn’t use mayonnaise, which cuts down on the fat (the bacon is a pure indulgence)

The green beans are something I make all the time. It’s a snap literally to make. I always buy the fresh snap beans from the produce section and they’re usually dirt cheap. I use a pressure cooker to make them (pic below) – I’ve got the old style with the rocker that makes a ton of noise.

The reason I do these 2 together is simple– I only have to cook the onions and bacon once then split them between the dishes.



Green Beans
Bag of fresh green beans (ends snapped off and snapped to designed length)
1 onion (thinly sliced)
1 carton chicken stock
3 bacon pieces
1 tsp garlic
Salt (to taste)

Caramelize the onion first and set aside. Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook in the pan. After 5 minutes, add in everything – beans, onion, chicken stock, salt, and garlic. For my pressure cooker, I usually wait till the chicken stock starts boiling then put the lid on. I’ll cook till the rocker starts ticking fast for a minute then I turn off the heat. I’ll just let it sit there for a while till it’s pressured down. It really doesn’t take that long and you can always steam it back up if it’s not as cooked.



Sour Cream Potato Salad
6-8 red potatoes
1 onion – thinly chopped and caramelized (ie cooked for 20-30 min in a frypan on medium)
2 Tbls white wine vinegar
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup plain yogurt
4 pieces of bacon, fried and chopped
1 tbls dill
Half a bunch of green onions, chopped finely
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the potatoes in half and boil for 10 minutes (starting with them in the cold water pot). Drain and slice potatoes. Drizzle vinegar over potatoes and stir. Season with salt liberally. Mix in everything else and refrigerate. You can always add more yogurt and sour cream if you’d like it creamier.

rox

No comments:

Post a Comment